McKay Creek is built on the old Naught dairy site, which spans McKay Creek on the west side of the city of Hillsboro. The original property had numerous outbuildings, an 80 foot tall round cement silo, and a large 3 level barn. The only surviving building is the farmhouse, built in 1929, which serves as the clubhouse.
In 1995 when the Reding family purchased the farm, as well as additional acreage from adjoining properties, it was being used for crop farming and raising cattle. Its numerous old fence lines were choked with trees and brush, and the open areas were being slowly filled by scrub brush, poison oak, and native trees such as Oregon ash, Ninebark, and Hawthorne, and non-native species of wild blackberries and canary grass.
Permitted early access to the property by the owner, the family began spending weekends and then evenings and weekends in the summer and fall of 1994 clearing trees and brush. Permits were finally issued the first week of July, 1995, and construction began. Jason, then 18 and on his way to college, ran the 1951 army surplus D8 Cat pulling an old cable-operated scraper (the Cat had no hydraulics!) moving the soil into areas for the tees and greens. Jeremy, a senior at Glencoe HS, then shaped the piles into the tees and greens seen today on the course, using a very tired 1948 Massey Ferguson tractor and box. Michelle, a sophomore at Glencoe, and Mom Jane helped with clearing and chipping brush and branches, and hauling firewood.